* 1/3 cup chia or sunflower seeds
* 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Thinly slice beets, carrots and apple using a paring knife or mandolin, then stack and julienne, meaning to slice into long strips. Add all to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
2. Trim off the fennel stalk and one outer layer of bulb. Slice bulb into thin rings, and add to bowl.
3. Chop fresh herbs, and mix with dressing ingredients in a blender or small jar.
4. Toss all ingredients in salad bowl, and sprinkle with seeds and feta cheese.
Poppy Seed Apple Slaw
I haven’t met the child (or adult) who doesn’t love this salad. Packed full of crunch with a tangy dressing, it’s a staple for old-fashioned picnics and summer adventure.
* 1 small cabbage (red or green), finely shredded
* 2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, julienned
* 2 medium carrots, peeled, julienned
* 1/4 cup red onion, diced
* 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
* 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
* 1/2 cup flame raisins
* 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
* 1/4 cup mayo
* 2 Tbsp. raw honey
* 1 1/2 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
* 1/2 tsp. sea salt
* 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Shred the cabbage, rinse, and dry thoroughly. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Julienne the apples and carrots, and finely dice the onion and fresh parsley. Add to bowl with shredded cabbage.
3. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together until well blended.